Saturday, June 22, 2013

I've been reading detective thrillers again...

Some recommendations:

Daniel Silva, Gabriel Allon novels
Elizabeth Ironside, A Good Death
Val McDermid, detectives are a policewoman and a profiling psychologist
Joe Nesbo, the latest Harry Hole
Benjamin Black, latest Quirke
Thomas Perry, especially the Butcher Boy books, and also Jane Whitehead books
Lawrence Block--I don't recall the title of the one with the sober policeman
Michael Connolly
David Baldacci


There's more. I read these sort of like eating Lay's Potato Chips, or as least as they advertise. During my last bout of reading these, I went to my local gun store in Culver City--very respectable--to see what  a Glock, Sig Sauer, and other such were like. Too many, and they suggested I go to a gun range and try out and see "what I liked."  I am struck by the gun details in most of these novels--models, sizes, etc. There should be a guide to guns for those reading these novels. Often, the guns are nothing ordinary, say something that the Army might use, with monster bullets, or something for elephants wearing bullet-proof vests.

In any case, I realize now that on TV they don't mention the kind of weapon they are using, the brand etc. Maybe to identify what the killers used?


No comments:

Post a Comment