Saturday, August 17, 2013

Gardening books read over the summer

I love to garden, and I'm a sucker for garden books.  If there is any possible way you can have a dithery Miss Marple-ish lady solving mysteries while pottering around in her rose garden, I'm totally buying and reading that book.  But I also read just general gardening books. Three that I have read this summer are listed here. All of them are excellent.

Two Gardeners: Katharine S. White and Elizabeth Lawrence--A Friendship in Letters



The collected letters of two gardeners, one an editor at the New Yorker and the other one of the original writers about southern US gardens. Both women are delightful.  One is lured into buying even more hellebores  for one's north-house beds. 

One Writer's Garden: Eudora Welty's Home Place by Susan Hanson and Jane Roy Brown




A sumptuous, beautifully researched book about Eudora Welty's magnificent garden.  Buy the hardcopy of this one, as the photographs are so worth having. 

The most wonderful book of the lot, which is saying something, because they are all wonderful.  I fervently wish I could write letter to Eudora Welty about my garden. 



I had a deadline for a book chapter that I simply ignored in favor of reading this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment